Answer: If your screen is black or frozen
- Forcing your device to restart won’t erase the content currently on your device.
- You can force your device to restart even if your screen is black or your buttons aren’t responding.
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
If that doesnt work…
Connect to iTunes and try to restore your iPhone. This usually works but iTunes requires that you switch off “Find my iPhone” first. This method won’t help as you are not actually able to use your iPhone! Phone calls still come through but you are not able to operate the screen for some reason. You have a frozen screen that doesn’t respond when you touch it or press buttons.
Last resort…but make sure you have a back-up first
- First you use iTunes to make a current back-up of your iPhone or device (Make sure you have a back-up first)
- Visit https://www.icloud.com/ and login using your Apple ID.
- Click on Find iPhone
- It should you your devices
- Locate and click on your iPhone
- It will then give you options on the pop-up
- Click on “erase iPhone” and follow the steps
- This will erase the iPhone and reset it to factory settings
- It should then light up on the screen
- Follow the steps on your screen
- Its now as it was when you first got your iPhone
- Once set-up is completed connect to iTunes
- Restore your back-up and you are good to go!